Episode 13: Episode 13: Steve Ignorant discusses the relevance of CRASS songs, modern motivation with Slice of Life and ongoing creative plans – Woodstein Media Podcast
- Episode 13: Episode 13: Steve Ignorant discusses the relevance of CRASS songs, modern motivation with Slice of Life and ongoing creative plans
- Episode 12: Episode 12: Punjabi singer Hira Dhariwal speaks about his passion for music and helping his community
- Episode 11: Episode 11: Dunstan Bruce contemplates aging & purpose via Interrobang, Am I Invisible Yet? and Chumbawamba film
- Episode 10: Episode Ten: Slaxx director Elza Kephart chats films, climate action and gender inequality in the film industry
- Episode 9: Episode Nine: Sam Tecle discusses what the call to Defund the Police means
This episode features a conversation with Sam Tecle about what is meant by the call to defund the police. Tecle works with Success Beyond Limits, a collaborative, youth-led, community-based movement providing youth with holistic support to complete their education and experience success in their lives and Jane and Finch Action Against Poverty, a resident-led grassroots coalition of community residents, activists, workers, organizations working to eliminate poverty. He is also an Associate Professor in the Sociology Department at Toronto Metropolitan University. His research and scholarly work span the areas of Black diaspora Studies, Urban Studies, and Sociology of Education.
Support Woodstein Media by becoming a Patron or by donating through Paypal.
Find out more about Jane and Finch Action Against Poverty and Success Beyond Limits.
For more information about the music on this episode, visit https://blacklivesmattertoronto.bandcamp.com/album/blacklivesmatter-toronto-black-city-mixtape-a-love-letter-in-song-to-black-community
Here is some suggested reading related to the topics discussed in this episode. There have been many discussions recently about policing, so a wealth of information can be found. This short list is just a point for those interested in this discussion to leap off from.
The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale
Abolition for the People: The Movement for a Future without Policing & Prisons by Colin Kaepernick
Policing Black Lives: State Violence in Canada from Slavery to the Present Paperback by Robyn Maynard
Until We Are Free: Reflections on Black Lives Matter in Canada Edited by Rodney Diverlus, Sandy Hudson, and Syrus Marcus Ware
Consider supporting wood-stein.ca to keep the ideas flowing! Become a Patron!